I think the CARP principles are a very useful tool for organizing elements on a page. I look for the CARP principles regularly now, as a matter of habit.
While CARP offers a great foundation for website design, I am still struggling with the aesthetic aspect; Even if you follow the principles, it still helps to have a creative eye.
As I evaluate other people's websites, my first thought is the website's purpose. Education related websites are often kind of muted, with very little pop. That's a generalization I realize but I think that educational websites are not intended to entertain or wow the audience. They are designed to relay information so a straightforward design is perhaps most appropriate.
On the other hand, a website that sells for example, photography services requires the "wowee" factor. Your site has to captivate someone to the point that they want to buy your product or services. It's very important to have that artistic flair and I have found that the choice of typography is a particularly important element.
I wish I had a better eye for design. I can use CARP to effectively organize the elements for maximum efficiency, but CARP doesn't address how to communicate in a visually appealing manner. Maybe this ability will come with time and training, who knows?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment