Horton's chapter on Connect activities has been particularly meaningful to me. In my experience, that's where my deepest learning occurs. I am always looking for that connection to real life experiences which helps me to make sense of material that I don't completely understand or am not completely comfortable with.
Where some people find connections between one activity and the next, initially I often do not. As we complete each unit, however, that connection becomes more apparent because we have readings, activities, postings, and other overlapping activities that reinforce the material. I generally always feel confident that at the end of the unit I will have a very good grasp of what's been taught; Or, I know what I need to work on.
Relating back to Horton's connection, I know I am not alone in how I make sense of things. Horton has certainly identified that Connect activities "tie together previously learned skills and knowledge" which results in "higher level knowledge and skills." Students are looking to make sense of new stimuli, new experiences, and new emotions in a way that makes sense to them. As Horton reveals, it's how some of the most effective learning happens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment